Best Massage Chair Pad For Your Back Pain And Benefits
Have you been spending hours online in search of the best massage chair pad? These have become more popular so through the years and the models and options have increased. That’s a good thing for customers, but it does also get overwhelming what with so many to choose from.
Snailax Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat Massage Chair Pad Kneading Back Massager
5 out of 5
Zyllion ZMA14 Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager Cushion
4.5 out of 5
NURSAL Back Massager Shiatsu Massage Seat Cushion
4.5 out of 5
Gideon GD-MSG-CS2 Luxury Six-Program Customizable Massaging Cushion
4 out of 5
Factors To Consider
Buying a massage chair pad isn’t as hard as it used to be. Nowadays you can just point and click to have the product delivered to you. But you still need to make certain the massage chair pad is suitable.
- Durability – if you’re going to use the massage pad on a regular basis, purchase one that is built to last.
- Company Reputation – one way to make sure the massage pad is durable is to buy from a well known brand.
- Ease of Use – even a feature packed massage pad is useless if it’s hard to use.
- Flexibility – a well-designed massage pad can work on different areas of your back, neck and shoulders.
1. Snailax Shiatsu Massage Cushion
The Snailax Massage Cushion has 4 massage nodes for massaging your entire back or just the lower or upper back. With its multiple Massage Zone options the massage goes up and down your back.
With its patented Strapping System you’re assured the cushion is compatible with most kinds of chairs. You can use the massage cushion on office chairs, sofa seats and recliners. The cushion also works with car seats and the leather feels smooth to touch.
The Snailax provides warmth to soothe your back, shoulders and relieve muscle tension. You can also massage your thighs and hips using the seat vibration and adjust as you see fit.
The Snailax allows you to knead on specific areas and the nodes can be fully adjusted. With a height of 3 mm you’ll be able to fit your body’s curve so you’re more comfortable. The device is very easy to use as you just select “Spot” and you can choose the appropriate Shiatsu node.
- Upper, lower and full back massage
- 3 massage zones
- 4 kneading zones for full relaxation
- Massage nodes are flexible
- 3 levels of adjustment on vibration seat massage
2. Zyllion ZMA14 Shiatsu Back and Neck Massage
One of the best massage cushion pads today, the ZMA14 is FDA approved and optimized to give you a full body massage. It has 4 deep kneading shiatsu massage nodes. The neck nodes can be moved up and down or go for a rotational direction to find the spot you want.
The heat function improves blood flow and soothes tired muscles. Just tap the heat button, lean back and the ZMA14 does the rest. Going back to the massage nodes, they do an excellent job of easing muscle knots. You can choose full shiatsu, lower or upper massage or pick a specific location with the spot function.
The Rolling Back massage feature lets the nodes operate continuously, and you decide what body parts to work on. Using this feature you can customize the width so it hits the right spot. With its auto 20 minute shutdown you don’t have to worry about leaving the device on, and that’s a welcome addition.
- 20 minute auto shutdown feature
- Overheat protection
- Can be used in on office chairs, sofas and recliners
- The vibration massage has 3 levels for maximum comfort
- Massage rollers are adjustable
3. Nursal Back Massager
The Nursal Back Massager can be used lying down or on a chair, either way you get a full shiatsu massage. Its hip massage has 3 vibration levels and the rolling massage has 8 nodes that go across your neck or back. You can adjust the positions to match your requirements.
The 3D kneading massage has a heating function that reduces fatigue and relaxes muscles. The 15 minute auto shutdown adds an extra level of safety and assurance. The ergonomic design provides extra comfort for the different body parts, but for all of its many features, the Nursal is still simple to use.
A car adapter is included so you can use this anywhere you like. The massage mechanism works well and it does feel like hands work on your back, neck and shoulders. It’s also versatile enough so you can lie down and just let the Nursal massage you. The device also offers good kneading support and the deep massage points provide extra power and efficiency.
- 4 deep rolling nodes
- 15 minute auto shutdown
- 3 level vibration massage
- Patented 3D rotating balls for a soothing muscle tissues
- Massaging elements are all adjustable
4. Gideon GD-MSG CS2
The CS2 has half a dozen programs that you can customize to ease your muscles. Designed to remove aches, pains, knots and tensions, the CS2 can be used at home, the office or even your car. With its 3D massaging nodes you just need to choose the mode you like and go for spot, full, lower or upper back massage.
The seat has vibration points – low, medium and high – to relax your muscles. The heat function can also be used with the roller massage to provide maximum comfort for your back. The roller massage coverage can be widened or oriented towards your spine.
The CS2 has a timer function that automatically turns the device off. When you use the heating element it generates a good deal of heat. With the bundled car adapter it’s possible to use this in your vehicle. Just plug it in and let the CS2 work on you. The device is also very durable.
- Rolling massage soothes back, neck and shoulder muscles
- 3D rotating balls simulate massage therapists’ hands
- Vibration massage cushion have 3 levels
- Spot focus for pinpoint massaging
- Adjustable massage nodes move up and down
5. Five S FS8812 10
The FS8812 runs on a powerful microprocessor, ten motor massage and aims to relax your thighs, back and neck. With its hand control design it’s easy to set the settings just the way you want it. There is a 30 minute auto shutdown and there is a car adapter included in the package.
The FS8812 has four zones – M1 upper back/shoulders/neck, M12 middle back and M3 and M4 for lower back and thighs respectively. Simply press the zone you want and the device will massage that body part.
The 4 massage programs have varying speeds so you can customize performance just the way you want it. You can have the FS8812 cycle through all the options or use just one. You can also turn the heat on and off so you can get a massage with or without it.
- Portable design is suited for car, office or home
- 4 zone design allows use on thighs, lower back, middle back and upper back/shoulders
- Its vibration motor generates heat to soothe the affected area
- State of the art microprocessor for comfort and precision
- 3 massage speeds to get the results you want
A Brief History of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy goes back as far as 3500 BCE. There is evidence that massage therapy has been part of Ayurvedic medicine for centuries, but the earliest record dates back to 2700 BCE in China. Taoist and Buddhist monks have been using massage as a form of relaxation for thousands of years as well.
Many cultures around the world have been practicing massages for thousands of years. The ancient Chinese believe that massaging enables the energy in your body to flow freely. This philosophy is echoed in other cultures and led to the development of various massage techniques.
Eventually the practice made its way to ancient Greece in 800 BCE and throughout the rest of Western civilization. Today massage is used to soothe muscle aches and to prevent injuries.
Health Benefits of Massage Therapy Using a Massage Chair Pad
Massage offers several health benefits such as the following.
- Anxiety relief – one of the most important benefits of massage is for reducing stress. Stress leads to anxiety, depression and affects you physically, emotionally and mentally. Massage provides relief.
- Ease muscle pain – too much work causes muscles to get strained or all knotted up. Massage chair pads removes these knots and loosens your muscles.
Other health benefits include the following.
- Massage cushion pads are good for pregnant women in easing muscle pain.
- Massages provide relief for sciatica.
- Massage seats are good not just at home but also in your car and the office.
- Sitting on a massage chair pad reduces pain and discomfort caused by prolonged sitting or bending.
Features to Consider When Selecting Massage Chair Pads
While the focus is on the massage features you must not neglect the comfort aspect either. If the cushion isn’t comfortable you’re not going to be inclined to use it. No matter how good or effective the massage properties are, it won’t help since the seat is uncomfortable.
Massage Strength Level
Some people like their massages hard while others prefer the gentler approach. There will be times when you’ll feel the need for one or the other so a massage chair pad that can do both is necessary.
Look for a massage chair pad that lets you adjust the pace according to the desired level. Being able to adjust this feature is going to give your body the massage you need.
Area Specific Massage
A good massage chair pad can give your entire back a massage or the upper or lower back. Some can be even more specific and target a particular area on your body. Usually you just need to press a button and the pad will massage that specific spot.
The most common target areas are the neck, shoulders, thighs, hips and the various areas of your back. Massage chair pads divide these into zones so by pressing a button the pad will work on that part.
Level Of Customization
The level of customization is crucial as it determines what type of massage it can do. Some of these pads have presets and extra features that allow you to focus on particular parts and have different types of massage done.
A good level of customization includes multiple speed options or hardness level. Look also for those that have an option to turn heat on or off. An automatic shut on/off timer is important so you can program it to automatically shut down after a specified time.
Size And Weight Capacity
By capacity we refer to the maximum weight limit the cushion can hold. Get a cushion that supports a sufficient weight capacity so you don’t have to worry about the lack of support.
The size refers to the dimensions of the cushion. This is important as it tells you how comfortable you’ll be while sitting on it. These specs can be found on the product description so you will know if the chair pad is big enough for your body frame.
Shiatsu is the most popular type of massage for easing and relaxing muscles, which is why a lot of massage pads incorporate this feature.
What you should look for is a massage chair pad that simulates real shiatsu. A well-designed massage chair pad simulates a massage therapist’s palms and fingers as it works on your back, neck and shoulders. The shiatsu function needs to have some kind of kneading mechanism to remove tightness and tension in muscles.
Types And Number Of Massage Nodes
These nodes simulate the effect of a massage to ease muscle tension and apply pressure to ease the pain. Adjustable modes allow you to focus on particular locations, apply deep pressure or apply a gentle massage.
You also need to consider the number of nodes and its versatility. The more nodes the more massage options available. While most nodes can be moved up and down, not all of them can have the width adjusted so you need to account for that as well.
Most massage pads have vibration, but the difference is the speed option and how it divides into the various massage zones. The more zones and speed options the more you’ll be able to tailor fit the massage pad. So while vibrations are standard that doesn’t mean you should just take it for granted.
Magnets and Air Compression
Air compressors are used to relax and massage muscles, while magnets stimulate blood flow on the areas that are being massaged. Essentially what magnets do is improve blood circulation around the muscles. This allows more oxygen to get to the muscles, relaxing, massaging and soothing them.
The top massage chair pads allow you to control the heat element and adjust it as necessary. Heat plays an important role in deep massages and relaxes them.
This is always one of the factors that buyers consider and rightfully so. But it should not be the only one as you have to regard it relative to the functions and features. If you see a well designed, all around massage chair spa, it is better to spend good money on that than on a low cost but low quality model.
The Essential Features of the Best Massage Chairs
With products competing against each other it is easy to get confused with all the features. Trying to figure out which ones are essential can take time so I’ll list them here again briefly and what they do.
- Auto shutoff – this timer turns the device off after 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes. Other models allow you to set a specific time so the device shuts down.
- Handheld control – this adds to the convenience and simplifies operation
- Spot massage – allows the massage chair pad to focus on a specific part of your body, great if you don’t need a full massage
- Adapter – an AC / DC adapter and car adapter are essential if you want to expand usability.
- Heat – some people like heat while getting a massage. If you’re one of those then include this in your checklist of must-have features. The more advanced models even have infrared capabilities.
- Vibration – I have already stated that vibration is a standard feature in massage pads. But some take it further and include heat, i.e. as the massage pad vibrates it generates heat to further loosen up your muscles.
- Massage styles – the most commonly used is shiatsu kneading, but you’ll want more like rolling, tapping and pulsating.
- Air compression – massage pads use air compression or a similar technology to contract and release the thighs and/or lumbar.
What are the Reasons to Use Massage Chair Pads?
Massages are very popular because they can do a lot for your body and mind. Here are some of them.
Muscle Pain Relief
The nodes on a massage chair pad simulate the hand and finger movements of the massage therapist. As the nodes go up and down your back, it relieves the tension, the aches and discomfort.
Depending on your preferences the pad can do a soft or hard massage. Either way you’re going to feel the difference as your muscles let go of the strain. It is an effective way of easing muscle stress after work.
A lot of people may not realize this but massages are good for the heart. For one thing it eases tension and second, improves blood flow. Better blood circulation is good for your muscles and organs including the heart.
Massages loosen up your muscular tissues and this allows for greater flexibility. The more flexible your muscles are, the less likely you’ll get injured while working out.
Athletes get massages not just to relieve muscle pain but also to enhance physical recovery. With a good massage your muscles’ knots are removed and allows you to get back on track.
Promotes Better Sleep
It’s not uncommon for people to fall asleep during a massage, testament to how good it is. And even if you don’t actually fall asleep while on the chair, the soothing effect lasts all day so by night time you will fall asleep more quickly.
Relaxes the Mind
A lot of the attention is focused on the physical benefits, but a good massage eases the mind as well. As muscle tension eases, your mind gets to relax as well. Anyone who’s had a massage will tell this really happens.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do All Massage Chair Pads have Heating Function?
Answer: Most of them d but it is not a standard feature. Read the product description to make sure.
2. Can You Adjust the Width of Rollers?
Answer: Not all massage chair pads can do this. Almost all allow you to adjust the rollers up and down, but the width adjustment is not always available.
3. Can I Use My Massage Pad Chair in My Car?
Answer: Yes. Massage chair pads have adapters for car use.
4. What is the Weight Capacity of a Massage Chair Pad Cushion?
Answer: Some have a 250 lb capacity or higher. This info is in the product description.
5. What Body Areas does a Massage Chair Pad Work on?
Answer: The most common are the back, neck, shoulders and thighs. They can also go through specific areas of your body.
6. Do All of Massage Chair Pads have a Remote?
Answer: Unless it is specifically mentioned, do not assume the pad comes with one.
7. Do Massage Chairs Work with 220V Power?
Answer: Most of them don’t so you’ll have to buy a power converter
8. Can the Rollers Really Massage Your Shoulders?
Answer: They will reach at least a part of your shoulders if not all the way.
Muscle aches and pains are all too common and unavoidable. But that does not mean you have to put up with it. The 5 massage chair pads I reviewed here are all built for long term use and will relax your muscles. Everyone has an opinion which is the best so you have to use your judgment to decide the right one.